- A fire broke out at the Coachella music festival early Saturday morning.
- CAL FIRE and The Riverside County Fire Department responded and “contained” the flames within 22 minutes of getting the call. There were no reported injuries.
- Festivalgoers heard explosions and saw flames near the mobile shower units on the campgrounds.
- People on Twitter started comparing Coachella to FYRE festival after watching the saga unfold.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
Coachella — the annual music festival in Indio, California, — kicked off on Friday. By Saturday at 2:06 a.m. police were responding to a fire that broke out on the campgrounds.
Firefighters responded to reports of a mobile shower unit on fire, and they were able to “contain” it within 22 minutes — by 2:28 a.m. — according to CAL FIRE and Riverside County Fire Department. The department reported no injuries.
Festivalgoers turned to Twitter to share what was happening with their followers. Many of them posted videos of the flames around the shower units and storage containers from whatever view they had.
showers at Coachella campground caught on fire…
“everybody out of the showers now!” – someone in their towel running out pic.twitter.com/WPPUHjXgxe
— 🍯 (@spxheda) April 13, 2019
Twitter users described hearing explosion-like sounds, guessing what may have happened.
— allisyn rees (@allisynrees) April 13, 2019
Some people were calling the festival “lit” because of the flames.
— yass 🍭🍬 daddy (@hotlidda) April 13, 2019
— Emily Mathason (@emilyinla) April 13, 2019
But others were reminded of another festival that went awry: FYRE Festival.
Fyre Fest the Rekindling lol
— Wendy Lester (@WendyWings) April 13, 2019
Coachella just turned into a FIRE FEST. The showers just exploded!! pic.twitter.com/mcHzpEegKu
— Tenani French (@Tenani) April 13, 2019
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 12 everyday phrases that you’re probably saying incorrectly