- Every year, thousands of students in the United States attend their junior and senior proms.
- Students typically dress up in extravagant gowns and tuxedos for the occasion. But not everyone wants to keep with tradition on their prom night.
- To help give you an idea of what other options are on the market, we’ve rounded up 16 alternatives to traditional prom dresses.
- Pantsuits and jumpsuits, for example, are a great way to make a statement at prom without wearing a skirt.
- If gowns are more your style, you can change things up by choosing a dress that features a geometric print or eye-catching ruffles.
A prom dress is arguably one of the most difficult gowns to shop for.
Not only is there pressure to find a unique dress that will stand out from every other ensemble at the event, but there’s also the added stress of choosing a gown that you won’t regret wearing 10 years down the road.
Thankfully, shopping for prom dresses in 2019 has its advantages. There are tons of new retailers to shop at, and a plethora of new styles to try. If you’re in the market for something different, one of these 17 prom-dress alternatives might be for you.
A neon-colored pantsuit will stand out from just about any crowd.
Pantsuits have become especially popular among celebrities in recent years, so it’s likely that the style will translate over to prom fashion too.
Find out more about Zara’s Blazer with Pockets and Cigarette Pants here.
A cape-style dress will add flare to your look.
Halter-style gowns are typically viewed as traditional, but the addition of a cape adds something unique and unexpected to the classic look.
By wearing a dress of this style, you’ll also be channeling Meghan Markle, who recently wore a dress with a cape while in Fiji.
Find out more about Fashion Nova’s More Than Capable dress here.
This particular dress stands out for its length.
While many opt for floor-length gowns on prom night, you might want to consider a cocktail dress. The style is perfect for dancing, and will look striking compared to longer dresses.
Find out more about the Free People Janelle Dress here.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider